Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fantasy Versus Reality: Virginity

Last night a conversation was started in our household.  I'm not even sure how it started anymore, but we were talking about losing one's virginity.  Everyone's got a story, either that or they just haven't done it yet, and to date, everyone I've met seems to remember the events of that day with clarity and detail.

There's something about losing your virginity that's glorified in novels, especially romance novels.  In one book I've read, the woman gave herself to this man in a dramatically appropriate moment.  She didn't just do this once, no, but something ridiculous, like three times in one day.  Now, for men, as I understand it, going again and again isn't so much of a problem, but for women, that's an entirely different story.

Let's take, for example, my friend Rose.  She was saying that he lost her virginity and couldn't walk right for three days.  She told her family she had the flu so that questions wouldn't be asked, and who can blame her?

What about me?  I went horseback riding that day and then to the drum circle later to dance.  I could walk just fine.  I didn't have any major issues, but I don't think I could have done it two more times in the same day if I wanted to!  It just wouldn't have been happening.

Looking at fantasy, they seem to think that physical limitations of the body aren't at all applicable.  Most people in the real world list their first time as slow and gentle, at least with the women I know.  Yet reading stories you'd think that everyone's first time was rough, passionate, and just as wild as an experienced woman's sex life.  I can understand why fantasy wouldn't be as interesting to read.  After all, you look at any porn out there and sex is only gentle, soft, and slow in those porns from the 80's with the bad storyline and the cheesy soundtrack.  Perhaps for a good romance novel, something geared towards the softer appetite of your average vanilla woman, that would be intriguing, but for most people in this world, that would make for a very boring read.

Personally, if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't.  I don't want to be with a virgin in my future.  I really don't look forward to the awkwardness of being someone's first.  In reality, I'll be happy to never re-live those days again.  I just wish I understood why virginity was glorified in some unrealistic way.  I guess they've got to do something to keep life interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment