Sometimes, especially when I've got a lot going on in my life, I just want to kick back and watch some television, whether it's something online or a DVD we own. I've taken to watching television shows while working because it gives me something in the background, and if what I'm doing isn't too intensive, it keeps me entertained so work doesn't become such a bore. I have very specific expectations for my entertainment. I want it to do something for me, amuse me, keep me occupied.
Some selections are really easy to watch. I'm particularly drawn to shows that have some comedic value and not too much drama, unless I'm going for a crime drama, like Law and Order or even Bones. I want the show to have an engaging story-line so I'm drawn to keep watching the show, even if it's not in depth and brilliant. Ugly Betty, 30 Rock, Psyche, these shows all appeal to me.
Unfortunately, you can only watch so much of them before you're up to date. Sometimes the selection goes on to shows recommended by friends, and that's when things seem to get a bit hairy. A lot of these shows are good, don't get me wrong, but some of them just aren't the kind of thing I'm looking for. Sadly, these shows that are so popular and air on stations like Showtime and HBO aren't something I can put on while the family is present, a feature the previously mentioned shows all share. I could watch them any time, and while I might get a few questions from my kids, for the most part it's good, clean entertainment that has enough adult content to keep it to my level.
What really annoys me about the shows like Weeds, the Tudors, and Rome is the massive quantity of sex. While I know there isn't sex in every episode, there comes a time when I feel like I'm watching a romance novel more than something to keep me entertained. I sadly find myself going, "Again? Really?"
Most recently we've been watching Weeds. It's a cute show. I love the story, for the most part. It's got a good share of comedy to it. Yes, it has it's dramatic moments, but any show that's all comedy, all the time just turns into stupid humor, much like SNL and a bunch of the spin off comedies they've made. South Park is another great example of this. Unfortunately, it's also a show about everyone having sex with everyone. I find myself watching it going, "Wow, I know sex sells but this is ridiculous."
Yes, I know what you're going to say. It's my prudish, anti-sex ways. I'm the crazy woman who doesn't even like porn, so I wouldn't get it. Mind you, it's not that I don't like porn so much as it doesn't do anything for me, but to each their own. I don't want to outlaw porn or anything like that. I just would like to have some good television to watch that's funny, fresh, and original without more sexual deviance than a soap opera! I mean, seriously, everyone's sleeping with everyone! If I wanted to see that, I'd turn on a porn.
Personally, I think I could quite enjoy a television series with that much sex, if it was the right kind of thing. I mean, seriously, let's see Showtime or HBO put out a television series on women who work in the sex industry! There's certainly enough options there! Strippers, escorts, professional Dommes, there's plenty of options! I think I would totally rock on that. Something like Desperate Housewives, then I'd kind of expect lots of sex. I mean, rich, lonely housewives are kind of America's image of women who are sex fiends. Then I could have total respect for the amount of sex in the television show.
I don't know. I think I'd really just rather have less sex on television and more substance! It's really making it to the point where sex is a mainstream part of American culture, but so much of it is still taboo. I mean, it's fine on television, but don't go bringing that drama to your own home. Sad thing is, what do you think support of such deviance is going to do...?
No comments:
Post a Comment